Six weeks prior to moving day
Four weeks prior to moving day
- Contact us to obtain an estimate for the cost of the move. We provide free estimates and are fully licensed and insured.
- It is important to show the estimator everything that is being moved so that you get a realistic estimate. We can only estimate a price based on the items shown to us and the services you agree to contract. If there are additional items not on the original estimate or there are changes to the delivery conditions (for example, stairs, elevators), please let us know as soon as possible as the estimate may need to be revised.
- When you have decided upon your mover, book your move as soon as possible.
One to two weeks prior to moving day
- The Monster Movers provide a full packing service. However, if you are going to pack yourself, we supply you the necessary packing boxes and materials (click here for more details). It is very important to use the right type of box and materials to protect your goods.
- Start the process of de-cluttering. Clean out the attic, closets and garage. Host a Tag sale or donate unwanted items to charity.
- Arrange to transfer school and medical records.
- Get change of address cards from your local post office.
- We do not take down drapery or disconnect chandeliers, appliances, showerheads, satellite dishes, electronics, etc. You need to disconnect these items yourself or if necessary arrange for a third party specialist to service these types of items.
- If you live in an apartment building and/or are moving to an apartment building check with the superintendent if the service elevators can be reserved.
- Draw a map of where you want your furniture placed at the new residence. Don't forget that some of your furniture may not fit in your new home. You should measure your furniture and room/doorway dimensions at your new home.
- Schedule disconnects for utilities such as gas, electric, water and the telephone. Disconnect the phone until after your move. Schedule connections for your new home.
- Cancel home services such as cable TV, cleaning help, gardening and newspapers.
- Notify your service providers such as your Bank, Credit Card Provider, Attorney, Accountant, Department of Motor Vehicles, IRS/State Tax office, City and County Tax office and Insurance Agents of your new address.
The day before the move
- Send in your change of address forms.
- Clean the stove.
- If you are taking drapes and rugs with you, consider getting them dry cleaned and then leave them in the protective wrapper ready for loading.
- If you have asked family or friends to assist, make sure they are available and make any necessary alternative arrangements!
- Clean the refrigerator and then defrost. Leave the doors open to allow the refrigerator and freezer to air out thereby reducing the chance of mould occurring inside these appliances.
- Empty all items from drawers. They can become dislodged and if full could damage the closing mechanisms.
- Disconnect wires to televisions/electronics prior to movers' arrival.
- For large appliances check the owner's manuals to see if there are instructions for moving.
- Tape all parts and special tools to the main base when disassembling furniture.
- Remove garbage/unwanted items from your home before our movers arrive- we are not responsible for trash removal.
- Get enough cash to tide you over.
- Make snacks for tomorrow.
- Say goodbye to your neighbors!
- At the new residence, always be present to give direction where you would like your belongings placed.
- It is your job to ensure that all items are loaded on the moving truck. Stay on the property to ensure that nothing is left when the movers are ready to leave. When the movers have indicated that they are finished, make a final tour of the house to ensure that everything is packed. When satisfied, sign the inventory list that the movers have for you. Make sure that you receive a copy of the inventory check list and keep it with you to assist you in the unloading check process.
- Make sure that the movers have the exact destination address to avoid any confusion. Be sure that the driver has a contact number for you so that contact can be made if there are questions.
- Tipping is not compulsory but is customary if you are pleased with our services. It is greatly appreciated by our staff who work extremely hard to transport your items safely and with care.
- Please have the proper form of payment available - cash, money order or certified bank check. Please note that payment is required prior to unloading at your new home.
- Try and relax and let Monster Movers do the work!
include ('incs/get_quote_right.php'); ?>